Holy cow! You are very welcome with this recipe. 😊 I am known for my homemade lasagna. But I needed to make it healthier. I have read many many different zucchini lasagna recipes on the internet, this one I came up with. I love a spicy meat sauce, and this is so creamy, I promise you will never notice the absence of noodles. You can add so many different veggie layers like eggplant or yellow squash. This dish yours to play with and make your own, but I tell you what—it’s so good.
4-6 large Zucchini cut with mandolin in circles or long pieces (whichever you prefer)
1 lb ground meat
10 oz of bacon, cut into cubes
2-3 tbs garlic
1 bell pepper
2 cans diced organic tomatoes
2-3 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more…how hot do you like it.)
2-3 avocado oil
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup parmesan cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese
15 oz organic ricotta or cottage cheese
¼ cup goat cheese or feta
1 tbs celery leaves
1 tbs parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut zucchini. Once cut lay out of paper towls, sprinkle each piece with salt and pepper and let some water out. Wait about 5 to 10 minutes before you can take another paper towel and put on top and push down to let some water out.
2. In a medium sauce pan put in cubed bacon and cook until done. Add avocado oil, onions garlic, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes, cook until bell pepper is soft and onions are see through. Add two cans of tomatoes and Italian seasoning and simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. While simmering, make cheese to go in the middle. In a mixing bowl add ricotta cheese, goat cheese, celery, parsley. Mix well and put in a sandwich bag to make a makeshift pipping bag.
4. When sauce is done, but sauce in blender and blend till smooth.
5. Meanwhile cook ground meat and add it salt and pepper. Once cooked add in blended sauce and simmer for another 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. While simmering, grade your parmesan and mozzarella cheese and set aside.
7. Start to layer in casserole dish: meat sauce, zucchini, pipe in ricotta cheese and smooth, graded cheese—then start again. Do this several times.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes, foil on for most of the time—foil off last 10 minutes to brown the top.
© copyright 5/12/18
Written By Amy Shaw