I love love love Spanakopita. It is a traditional Greek spinach pie. However, it has lots of bread usually, Phyllo Dough to be exact. I wanted to take this favorite and twist it to make it more healthy. So I stuffed all the yummy insides into Baby Bella Mushrooms and toped it with a little bit of panko to give it some crunch. Let me tell you, they were so so good!
• 16 oz fresh chopped spinach
• 2 bunches flat-leaf parsley, stems trimmed, finely chopped
• 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 4 eggs
• 10.5 oz quality feta cheese, crumbled
• 2 tsp dill weed
• Freshly-ground black pepper
• 1 ½ baby Bella mushrooms
• ¼ cup of panko crumbs
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Clean mushroom caps out and save the inside of mushroom caps to cook with onions. Once clean put aside.
3. Cook onions, garlic, inside of mushrooms in oil until onions are see through. Add parsley and spinach. Cook until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain excess water.
4. In a large bowl add eggs, dill weed, salt and pepper, and feta and mix well. Add spinach mixture and mix again.
5. Fill mushroom caps with spinach mixture. Top with panko crumbs.
6. Bake in the 375 degrees F heated-oven for 25-30 minutes.