Health Update Journal: Surgery was a success!


I have only been in the hospital two times in my life, and each time I came home with little bundles of joy that I could not live without. Those bundles are my children, just in case your wondering. This time I came in because I was getting bariatric surgery, and I wasn’t leaving with anything really fun. I would come home with a smaller stomach, so I would be able to eat less and lose weight faster and get to a healthier weight faster. So, there’s that. Lol! A gold medal in my book. However, I kept thinking like we forgot something at the hospital—so I do feel a little empty handed. HA HA HA!
More importantly, surgery went on without a hitch. The last thing I remember was saying goodbye to my husband, mom, and dad before they rolled me away to surgery. I remember the prayer my dad lead before I was taken back, that was truly something—if the nurse wouldn’t have walked in and said it was time, I probably would have burst into tears at that moment. I didn’t have time to get emotional. I was told by the nurse that I would be having two stages of anesthesia. First would be the relaxer, they gave that to me in my IV. I have no recollection of anything pretty much for the rest of the day after that. Apparently, my body liked the anesthesia. It really knocked me out. I remember bits and pieces, but they are jumbled, and it was seriously like I was in a dream. All of Friday, I was so out of it. I remember my husband, David. I remember my mom coming in and my dad coming in. I think I said something like “there’s my daddy.”
Finally, the anesthesia’s hands let go and it was close to midnight and I finally took my first steps after surgery. They want you to walk around so blood clots don’t form. It reminded me of the pain from my C-sections. So, I was ready for that, no problem. I hurt, but I knew I would. I walked around my hospital unit about 3 times that night.

On Saturday I went to the radiologist to make sure that my surgeon did his job and closed up everything properly, so there was no leakage. I wasn’t told about this part. Probably because I was told in the radiologist’s lab that I would have to drink two very disgusting drinks back to back for this test. The test was short, all was fine—I had a great surgeon. But that drink had me sick.
The rest of Saturday I was never sure how my stomach nausea was going to exit my body, by my mouth or by –well down below. So, I was pretty miserable all day and most of Sunday—all because of the drink. We finally got my nausea under control, sort of, and I was sent home late Sunday afternoon.
The nausea has been pretty much a constant companion. The pain, I can deal with. The pain as of now is pretty much gone. It’s the nausea. I think it’s because my stomach is trying to heal and my body is hungry. I am drinking water, soup, jello, pudding, yogurt, and protein shakes. But my hunger come back pretty quick, but that’s normal. When I get too hungry is when I get the most nauseated. That’s my un-official diagnosis for myself.
I go back to the doctor on Thursday, so I will let you know what he says. Other than that I am doing well. And I just want to thank you all for your continued prayers and your support. I will keep you updated on my progress. And I hope to have some recipes starting to come up within the next month or so.

Don’t forget to stay tuned with updates and healthy recipes on our Facebook Page!
The diary of two former fat girls

Written by: Amy Shaw-Chilson

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s