I love this recipe. I love squash casserole! This is easy, cut, boil, throw together and bake. Easy easy side dish and it tastes great. I used to work in downtown Houston, I would frequent this southern homestyle lunch site located in a Catholic Church. It was called Treebeards. I bought the cook book because I loved their food so much—however if you are eating clean, paleo, or gluten free its hard to cook out of this book. So, I have adapted it! (Of course!! Lol) Enjoy!
4 yellow squash
1 small sweet onion
½ cup ghee or grass fed butter
2 tbs pure sugar or honey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1tsp cajain seasoning
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup glutton free bread crumbs (or mashed up crackling)
½ cup grated cheese
1. Chop squash up into 2-inch pieces. Drop into a large pot of boiling water. Boil until tender.
2. Drain squash very well, leave it draining while you do the next steps. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Chop onion and sauté in a pan till translucent. Add butter, melt. Add spices and mix in.
4. Put squash in large bowl, add butter mixture and mix, add eggs and mix, add ½ cup glutton free bread crumbs and mix, add ¼ cup of cheese and mix. Pour into baking dish.
5. Sprinkle other ½ cup glutton free bread crumbs and ½ cup cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Serve and enjoy!